Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

*Results* Straight Ca$h Homey: CFB Week 2 Picks

I started off defending my title by going a nice 2-5 thanks to a running-first Irish offense, a horrible Northwestern defense and no QB play from South Carolina nor Sparty.  I did straight up call the Michigan and Holgo and the 'neers remained on their late-2011 form.  This week, I have to do better, right?  Not "Showdown Saturday" by any means, so many of these are games I will be watching anyway.  Note: Urban Meyer is 35-7 ATS in non-conf games.  Therefore I am taking facts, not my heart, when I take Ohio State over the Golden Knights.  To the Week 2 picks...
2-5, lost the money game straight up.  Overall 4-10 and next to last in the standings.  Good news, 13 weeks left.  Hopefully I get a feel for some teams after getting my brains beaten in the first two weeks.  Time to pick and rally...

Money Game:
13 Wisconsin -8 at Oregon State
4:00 FX
The Badgers only beat Northern Iowa 26-21 last week.  However, UNI could probably beat the Beavers.  I love taking Wisconsin early, because 1)Their coach is a dick and 2)They don't have to face any team they put 70 on again (unless you count Northwestern).  Should Wisconsin beat Oregon State by at least 20?  Hell yes.  Wisconsin? Money game? Odd.
L 10-7 Wisconsin went to Reaser Stadium and lost to the Beavers.  Monte Ball had less than 100 yards and they were held scoreless for about 58 minutes.  The refs seemed to get the onside kick wrong, however, Bucky wasn't going to get to -8 any way you slice it.  They looked horrible against NIU and even worse Saturday.  I am very happy that Wisconsin lost, however this was a horrible pick.  Week 2 everybody!

Pick 2:
Central Florida at 14 Ohio State -17.5
12:00 ESPN2
Gotta go with Urban.  17.5 is a big number, against Ohio State's biggest non-conf game (thanks Cal, for nothing), but I like 3 scores here.  Let's hope for the best and prepare for the best.  I swear, this time, if OSU doesn't cover, I will be done with them.  Forever.  For real this time you guys (probably not).
L 31-16 I took Ohio State and they won but lost.  They looked a little sluggish both offensively and defensively.  UCF has some guys, but Ohio State didn't bring their A game.

Pick 3:
Miami FL at 21 Kansas State -7
12:00 FX
K-State was a great cover team last year.  Miami sucks.  In The Octogon Bill Snyder Family Stadium.  Noon.  7 points is pretty big, but Miami sucks.
W 52-14 Lone bright spot.  K-State put a whoopin' on them boys from Dade county.

Pick 4:
Auburn +3 at Mississippi State
12:00 ESPN
Auburn showed me a little last week against Clemson.  Miss. St. couldn't run through smoke.  The Bulldogs also have become also-rans in the SEC west and I look for the Tigers to rebound and take the W in Starkvegas.  War Damn Cover At Least.
L 28-10 Mullen and the Bulldogs get their first SEC West win outside of Ole Miss.  Auburn is 0-2 and didn't look good.  Bad pick, straight up.

Pick 5:
1 2 USC -27 at Syracuse
3:30 ESPN2
Syracuse gave up 42 to Northwestern.  Northwestern doesn't have Silas Redd, Matt Barkley, Woods nor Lee.  If the D holds the Orange under 13, easy cover.
L 42-29 After about a 2 hour lightening/halftime break, USC got the W but let the Orange score late.  They looked like they wanted to just get out of there instead of going for 'cuse's throat.

Pick 6:
7 Georgia -2 at Missouri
7:45 ESPN2
The locals will be fired up, and we will get to see the number one recruit try to do his thing against a stingy Bulldog D.  2 points isn't a lot and I think UGA's depth, experience and *speed* will knock off Mizzou in their SEC debut by at least a touchdown.
W 41-20 Missouri actually had the lead after a quick-strike long touchdown in the 3rd, but the Bulldog "old-man football" proceeded to kick the Tigers off its lawn.  UGA won running away.  Nice pick.  UGA seems either really strong or Mizzou is in a world of trouble when they go 3 and out in the SEC.

Pick 7:
18 Oklahoma State -11.5 at Arizona
10:30 Pac 12 Network (?)
After the Pokes put 84 on Sav. State last week, they got me.  I love big offense and I love to bet against shitty teams.  This one has both.  Arizona had to close one of their endzone stands so they could lump the fans together.  No home field advantage, and if you think this squad can keep up with Gundy, tit-for-tat, you are mistaken.  The only challenge will be staying up for this one, by following it on my iphone/ipad.  What the hell is the Pac-12 Network and how do I watch it?
L 59-38 After the Pokes went up 14-0 in the first 10 minutes, 'zona blew them out.  I watched up to halftime on my ipad with the newly redesigned ESPN Scorecenter app.  Pretty tight.  Pick sucked.

Best of the Rest:
23 Florida at Texas A&M -1.5
3:30 ESPN
Florida looked like shit against BG, and TAMU hasn't played a game yet under their new coach from Houston (holy shit does Houston miss him).  Standard early this-game-could-go-many-ways.  Did the "real" Gators show up last week, or could they put 50 on a traditional shaky Aggie defense?  Are the Aggies ready to air it out?  Home field sure, but after 4 straight 3-and-outs, can the Gators get a road SEC win?  We will see...
L 20-17 Gators outscored the Aggies 13-0 after they were down 17-7 at half.  Huge road win for Florida.

16 Nebraska -5 at UCLA
7:30 FOX
Don't get it twisted.  Taylor Martinez didn't become Tom Brady over the offseason.  They were showing clips from last year and against Southern Miss and I honestly didn't see that much difference.  I like the Huskers due to UCLA's defense and I don't think Jim Mora (don't dare call him Jr.) is a good coach.  Burkhead's MCL is HUGE, therefore I am not taking this one as one of my 7 picks.
L 36-30 Unforeseen shootout in the Rose Bowl.  The Blackshirts couldn't stop swing pass right nor swing pass left.  Par for the course for the B1G.  UCLA seems to be making major strides under Mora Jr.  I can't wait until they lose to Colorado and/or Washington State by 50.

Vanderbilt at Northwestern +3
8:00 BTN
Vandy should be feeling pretty good coming off their near-win against South Carolina, and night games in Evanston are no joke.  Home dog?  I'll take the Wildcats again.
W 23-14 The 'cats were down at half and I watched maybe three plays of this game.  Nice rebound W after their near-collapse at Syracuse last week.  Vanderbilt, who looked like they could not finish last in the SEC lost to Northwestern.  There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment